ON PRE-COLLEGE ENRICHMENT: CALIFORNIA
BUILD. CODE. CREATE.
HOW TO MAKE ANYTHING WITH POPULAR MECHANICS.
Popular Mechanics collaborated with Westcoast Connection/360° Student Travel to develop a STEM program for teens interested in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Experience exclusive access to Popular Mechanics editors and participating STEM companies and attend hands-on sessions inspiring the next generation of engineers, coders, and innovators. Learn basic coding, 3D printing, wood and metal fabrication, aerospace and robotic engineering, and what it takes to create Popular Mechanics. Every participant will leave LA with the confidence and know-how to start and follow through on projects, as well as with firsthand knowledge of STEM fields and possible career paths.
To learn more about the hands-on sessions led by participating companies click here.
This Program is for those who choose the Popular Mechanics STEM Experience LA as a Full Day Option on our Pre-College Enrichment California Program at UCLA.
ABOUT POPULAR MECHANICS
Popular Mechanics empowers readers to navigate the increasingly complex, technological world around us. The magazine inspires, instructs and influences curious readers with breakthroughs in the latest innovations in science and technology. With informative “how-to” stories and reviews and comparisons of the newest products, the brand is a 21st-century must-read.
Did you know that it was the cover of an issue of Popular Mechanics in 1975 that helped inspire Paul Allen to co-start Microsoft with Bill Gates?
Scroll Through Highlights
- Exclusive behind-the-scenes access: meet with Popular Mechanics editors.
- Learn from the STEM Educators at iFLY’s indoor skydiving facility. Take part in lab activities and demos in their vertical wind tunnel.
- Get ideas out of your head and into your hands with 3D printing, modeling, scanning, and custom fabrication at Hollywood 3D Printing.
- Discover how Sphero’s ‘bots, like the Star Wars BB-8, go from concept to shelf, with insight on engineering, design and marketing.
- Make or modify anything with both Ryobi and RIDGID: explore woodworking, metalworking, and basic hand power tool knowledge through DIY projects.
- Be Social – The Popular Mechanics STEM Experience participants are part of our larger Pre-College Enrichment Program at UCLA.
- IMPROV comedy show, Universal Studios, and more incredible highlights all included
POPULAR MECHANICS STEM EXPERIENCE AS YOUR FULL DAY TRACK OPTION (8 SESSIONS) – 10AM – 4:30PM
Meet with editors from Popular Mechanics
Visit iFLY’s unique vertical wind tunnel facility
Create with Hollywood 3D printing, modeling, scanning and custom fabrication
Fuse robotic and digital technologies into immersive entertainment experiences at Sphero
Explore woodworking, metalworking, and basic hand power tool knowledge with the best in the business - Ryobi and Ridgid
Enjoy unmatched world-class recreation facilities and sprawling campus surrounded by iconic neighborhoods like Beverly Hills & Bel Air.
STAY ACTIVE - THE JOHN WOODEN SPORTS & RECREATION CENTER
Receive a complimentary membership that includes basketball, and volleyball courts, weight training and cardio equipment, handball, racquetball, badminton and squash courts, indoor rock wall, Sunset Canyon pool and tennis center.
WEEKEND & DAY TRIPS
Experience LA with day and weekend excursions included in your tuition!
Popular Mechanics is a trademark of Hearst Communications, Inc.
Due to the varying nature of these industries and production deadlines of companies and Popular Mechanics, all highlights of this program are subject to change.